Monday, May 7, 2007

Virtual environments

My introduction to IMVU was at the special drop in session, where we were introduced to a colleague's avatar. Very nice. Again, I can understand the appeal to users since the social networking must be intense and using an avatar to do so adds an element of mystery, anonymity and just plain fun! I did not want to register but I did like selecting a possible avatar and browsing through a choice of (facial and other) features and free clothes.
I have attended a few demos on Second Life, and have observed other colleagues' avatars in this environment. I think it's great that the library has a virtual space or site and that other "residents" are dropping by. A pilot on providing reference services in Second Life is currently going on; the results of this pilot should be carefully reviewed with the objectives of the service kept in mind i.e. entertainment or more? What is the potential for teaching and learning? I told my two teens about Teen Second Life, but neither one was interested. I don't think it has caught on in their social networks, plus their "real" lives are full enough!

No comments: